28, Nov 2022
No other hand perplexes the blackjack player as much as the dreaded 16, which is why it is known as the worst hand in blackjack applies. Players hate this hand because they are afraid to busten - so getting more than 21 points and automatically losing. So many bad possibilities, no matter what the dealer shows.
Others opt for the surrender option when possible. Losing half a bet is better than losing everything. When the 16 comes as a pair, most players hesitate to split when the dealer shows a 9, 10 or an ace because they are afraid of losing two bets. Then there is the 16 with an ace that is counted as an 11 (i.e. soft-16).
What is a player supposed to do when he gets a 16?
First, let's focus on a hard 16. That's a hand that's no ace or if it contains an ace, the ace counts as one.
Some examples of hard 16 would be 10-6 or 5-7-4 or 7-8 ace.
Die beste Spielweise für eine harte 16 ist laut der Blackjack Strategie Tabelle einfach stehen zu bleiben, wenn der Dealer eine kleine Karte zeigt (2 bis 6). Hat der Dealer eine hohe Karte (7, 8, 9, 10 oder Ass) sollte man aber noch eine Karte ziehen.
Das Befolgen dieser Spielstrategie garantiert nicht, dass Sie jedes Mal gewinnen, sondern dass Sie auf lange Sicht weniger verlieren werden.
Chances of winning and risk of losing with a 16
Suppose you get a 10-6 and the dealer shows a 7 as a visible up card.
If you have a draw a cardyou have an average Chance of winning 30%. 70% of the time they will lose. So why draw when the odds are 3:7?
Because if you stop, the Chance to win only 26% and you lose to 74%.
They increase the Chances of winning by 4%, if you do not stop, but draw a card. #+
That doesn't sound like much to beginners, but if you know that you can only get a maximum advantage of 1%, you're hardly going to give away four times that simply because you're too lazy or too stupid to draw a card.
The principle is: profit maximization and loss minimization
The dealer is still an overwhelming favorite, of course, because he wins 70% of the hands in this situation. But which is better? Winning in 26% by standing idle or in 30% by actively drawing cards?
So the bottom line on a hard 16 is this: Even if you follow basic strategy, you'll lose more hands than you win, but in the long run you'll lose less than if you follow a gut or scare strategy. Losing less when you're an underdog is just as important as winning more when you're a favorite.
If the 16 consists of three or more cards
Normally, the blackjack strategy ignores the type of composition of the hand. So it doesn't seem to matter whether you have 16 with two cards or with three or even four cards.
In reality, however, it does make a difference! That's why you should stand with a 16 of three or more cards when the dealer has a 10. The reason is that you have used up some of the small cards you need to draw. This argues for standing. However, the more decks used, the less important this special rule is.
Surrender with 16 against 10
Some casinos allow Surrender. This allows players to surrender without a fight. This means that you give up the opportunity to play out your hand and automatically lose half of your bet.
Even though Surrender is offered, there are many players who do not know how best to use this option. Some don't want to "give up" without a fight, and others stay put out of fear. Here, the middle ground via Surrender would be better. Because this way you get back at least 50% of the bet, while in 70% of the cases it is 0 and in 30% of the cases it is 100%. What
In fact, Surrender is always the best option when your odds of winning are less than 25% as in a 16 against a 10.
This gives you a chance of winning of 23.4%. This means that the probability of losing is 76.6%. If we play a hundred hands of 10 euros each with a 16 against the dealer's 10, we would win about $230 and lose $770 in the process. That makes an average net loss of $540.
If we give up on every 16 against the dealer-10, our net loss would be exactly half, or $500. So we are better off losing only $500 instead of $540.
Wenn Sie hingegen eine Soft-16 bekommen (wie Ass & 5), sollten Sie niemals aufgeben. Die erste Option ist zu verdoppeln, wenn der Dealer eine schwache Upcard wie 4, 5 oder 6 zeigt. Wenn die Karte des Dealers eine 2,3 oder 7 – Ass ist, dann zieht man noch eine Karte.
What to do with a pair of 8s?
The correct play of blackjack strategy is to always split a pair of 8s, no matter what the dealer shows. Even if you lose money on both 8s in a split, the combined loss in the long run is less than the amount you will lose if you play the single hand as 16. Splitting a pair of 8s against a dealer's 10, by the way, is also a slightly better play than surrendering with Surrender.
There's no question about it: 16 is a lousy blackjack hand. Unfortunately, it's also one of the most common hands you'll get in blackjack. But, by following the playing strategy above, you will win more and lose less in the long run.